As promised here is the recipe for the utterly divine muffins featured in our last post. If meeting the parents, showing first time buyers your DIY disaster of a pad or living above a third rate fast food establishment, then you may want to whip up a batch of these right away!
Ingredients (You can squeeze a gut busting 24 Muffins out of this recipe)
315g plain flour
230g caster sugar
230ml Lactofree raspberry yoghurt
200g fresh raspberries
115g Lactofree spreadable
35g poppy seeds
5 medium egg yokes
3 medium egg whites
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp baking powder
A large pinch of sea salt
¼ tsp cream of tartar
Get Stuck In
1. Pre-Heat the oven to 170°C and line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
2. In a large bowl beat the Lactofree spreadable in a bowl with half the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the next one. Lastly mix in the yoghurt, vanilla and poppy seeds and set aside.
3. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, start to whisk the egg whites, adding, very quickly, the remaining sugar and cream of tartar. Keep mixing until a meringue forms. This should take around 5 minutes so don’t lose heart like the kids (and I) did.
5. Fold the meringue into the egg yolk mixture before folding in the flour. Be careful as you do not want to knock all the air out of your lovely meringue! Lastly fold in the raspberries very lightly to avoid bruising or bursting them.
6. Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for around 18-23 minutes. The muffins will have browned and should spring back when touched. For a final check a toothpick should come out clean when inserted. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
And there you have it. Delicious with coffee, ice cream or even just air!